Hollywood Chamber Community Foundation
The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce Community Foundation is an organization within the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce that promotes outreach and the well-being of the non-profit organizations within the community. The Foundation is unique because, as part of the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, it illustrates the success of a business advocacy group giving financial assistance to the community that it serves, namely the charities that are members of the Hollywood Chamber.
The mission of The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce Community Foundation is to support and advance the educational, cultural and economic interests of the Hollywood community by:
- Developing leadership with a dynamic and innovative vision of the future;
- Linking the business in partnerships with educational, governmental and non-profit organizations; and
- Serving as a vehicle for research, planning and community education to anticipate and communicate challenges of the future.
The Foundation achieves its goal by awarding grants to charities that directly benefit members of the Hollywood Community. This process includes:
- Raising funds by staging events such as the annual Women of Distinction Awards and the Halloween Party.
- A review of each grant application by the Foundation Board. This process also includes a thorough research and a site visit by one board member to ensure that the application meets all eligibility requirements, and that the allocated funds will be used accordingly.
- Notification to each applicant on the status of its request. Organizations that are selected to receive funding will be presented with a check during one of the scheduled events of Hollywood Chamber of Commerce. Those who do not receive funding will be notified in writing of the reason, and invited to apply again once they meet eligibility requirements.
- The Foundation has awarded more money each year than in the previous year.
- Total: $775,000 as of December 2015
The Foundation accepts grant applications twice a year with the deadline being end of May and end of October.
Since its inception in 1996, the Foundation has given out $799,160 in grants, and has given out $52,250 in grants this past year. In our most current fiscal year, the Chamber Community Foundation assisted the following local organizations.
Assistance League of Southern Cal.
Blind Children’s Center
Boys & Girls Club of Hollywood
Greenways Arts Alliance
Hollywood Fringe Festival Hatchery Arts
Hollywood Wilshire YMCA
L.A. City College Foundation
L.A. Contemporary Exhibitions
Let’s Play Hollywood Foundation
Los Angeles Youth Network
My Friend’s Place
National Night Out
New filmmakers L.A.
Oasis of Hollywood
St. Barnabas Senior Services
The Center at Blessed Sacrament
The Gabriella Foundation
We Can Pediatric Tumor Network
To be eligible for a grant, an applicant must be a member of the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce. The Foundation accepts grant applications twice a year with the deadline being end of May and end of October. When reviewing requests for financial assistance, the Foundation adheres to certain guidelines and gives preference to organizations that:
- Are well-managed and use their resources effectively
- Collaborate rather than compete with similar organizations
- Address the root causes of problems, rather than symptoms
- Make a significant contribution to the economic vitality of Hollywood
- Reach out to sometimes excluded groups
- Deliver services directly to those who need them
- Are 501(c)3 charitable organizations
- Download an application for the Hollywood Chamber Community Foundation grant. (PDF)
The Foundation organizes two annual fundraising events: Heroes of Hollywood and All Hallow's Eve Party
The Heroes of Hollywood Awards honor executives, business owners, leaders and organizations in the Hollywood Community. Recognition is based on outstanding achievement and dedication to excellence within an industry, organization or profession, special accomplishments, and community service. This is the most-recognized fundraising event of the year for the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce Community Foundation, and is a significant annual event in Hollywood. The Heroes of Hollywood Awards recognize exceptional leaders in the Hollywood community who have transformed the lives of others and/or have made a remarkable contribution to the physical environment. Since 1993, the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce Community Foundation has saluted more than 125 extraordinary leaders in our community through what was previously named the Women of Distinction Awards. Since 2011, the Heroes of Hollywood Awards have honored both male and female leaders, as well as families, businesses and organizations. Heroes of Hollywood serves as one of two major fundraisers for the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce Community Foundation, a 501(c)3 organization which is dedicated to improving the lives of Hollywood community members. All funds raised from this luncheon will be awarded in the form of grants to non-profit organizations that are doing remarkable work in the Hollywood community.
The All Hallows Eve’s Party is an annual event presented by the Community Foundation event for Hollywood Chamber members and their guests. Attendees join the fun for ghoulishly good time where ghosts and guests mingle and raise funds that the Community Foundation distributes back into the community in the form of grants to local organizations. This is a great family-fun event where more than 250 mortal guests of the Hollywood Chamber experience Halloween from within the gates of the famous Hollywood Forever.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS 2016-2017
All board members of the Hollywood Chamber Community Foundation volunteer their time to attend meetings, fundraisers, site inspections and other events that further the goals of the Foundation.
Beth Marlis, Chair, Chamber Community Foundation, Musicians Institute
Homer Alba, Hollywood Forever, Inc.
Sholeh Assil, U.S. Bank
Cindy Braun, Paley Center For Media
Heather Cochran, Television Academy
Matthew Fritch, Sunset Bronson Studios
Leron Gubler, Hollywood Chamber of Commerce
Baret Lepejian, Tinhorn Flats Saloon & Grill
Roger Neal, Neal Public Relations
Fred Rosenthal, Ametron
Carole Sarian, The CrisCom Company
Kristi Schaffter, Los Angeles Dodgers
Marty Shelton, NAI Capital Commercial Real Estate
Hollywood Chamber of Commerce Community Foundation
7018 Hollywood Boulevard,
Hollywood, CA 90028
Main: (323) 469-8311
Fax: (323) 469-2805