President & CEO Position
The Position of President and CEO
The Hollywood Chamber seeks a visionary President and CEO to lead the Chamber’s staff and members. The President provides leadership and advocacy for the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, is responsible and accountable for all Chamber operations including Hollywood Walk of Fame ceremonies, and represents the Chamber in the local community and at the city, county, state and national level. The successful candidate must have extensive experience administering a staff, a thorough understanding of a Chamber’s mission and activities, and must embrace and understand the role of an urban chamber and the dynamics within the multi-cultural community it serves.
HOLLYWOOD CHAMBER OF COMMERCE BACKGROUND INFORMATION
The Chamber’s Mission
The Mission of the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce is to promote and enhance the business, cultural and civic well-being of Hollywood. To accomplish this mission, the Chamber will act at the local, state, and federal levels of government to develop and support specific proposals for action, and oppose legislative and regulatory efforts that do not support these principles.
About the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce
The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce is the most famous chamber of commerce in the world. Every year, the Chamber acknowledges, recognizes and welcomes approximately 30 celebrities onto the internationally-renowned Hollywood Walk of Fame. Each star ceremony is streamed LIVE around the globe. As the originator of the Hollywood Walk of Fame, the Chamber has administered it on behalf of the City of Los Angeles for more than 50 years. Created as a marketing attraction for the community, the Hollywood Walk of Fame has become one of the most successful marketing ideas ever devised by a chamber of commerce.
While the Hollywood Walk of Fame is an internationally recognized and renowned attraction, the activities of the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce go far beyond the stars embedded in the “Walk.” We are a business organization working to create and maintain a strong economy, and make Hollywood a better community for businesses and residents. Whether it is a large company or a small business, the Chamber represents the interests of the business community to assist in resolving issues that affect their ability to conduct business.
We work to promote the community through numerous activities, such as the Hollywood Expo that provides the local community an opportunity to take advantage of great offers. Our highly informative publications: “Hollywood Business Advocate”, “Hollywood Guide” and “Hollywood Business and Community Profile” are distributed to thousands of residents and businesses. We actively pitch Hollywood stories to the press and other media outlets throughout the year with extra effort focused at our Awards Media Welcome Center during the week prior to the Academy Awards when the world’s attention is on everything Hollywood.
We provide many networking opportunities through our Business After Hours Mixers, Speed Leads networking luncheons, President’s Luncheons, informative entertainment and business industry conferences, our annual breakfast with the Mayor, lobbying trips to Sacramento and Washington D.C., brown bag lunch discussions in the Chamber offices, and regular tutorials such as our monthly Tech-101 educational series and small business counseling sessions.
We represent the interests of business with government officials at the city, county, state and national level. We do this by speaking up at numerous hearings, writing letters and lobbying on issues that impact our businesses and by making annual advocacy trips to Washington, D.C. and Sacramento. We monitor the status of important legislative initiatives and keep our members informed on how they can make a difference. We also have an active Political Action Committee that regularly analyzes and evaluates pending and proposed legislation.
Beyond all of the efforts noted, we also give back to the community through our Hollywood Chamber of Commerce Community Foundation. The Foundation has distributed grants to hundreds of community groups and since its formation in 1996, it has distributed more than $900,000 to nonprofit groups doing great work in and for the Hollywood community.
The Hollywood Chamber has been very active in empowering our businesses to have their own voices. The Chamber has incubated all five existing business improvement districts (BIDs) within the Hollywood District. The Chamber is currently incubating two new BIDs and administers one BID.
Finally, the Hollywood Chamber is responsible for managing the trademarks for the historic Hollywood Sign and the Hollywood Walk of Fame. The care of each of these icons, with respect to their repair, maintenance and security is managed by The Hollywood Sign Trust and The Hollywood Historic Trust respectively. The Chamber, however, owns the trademarks for each and manages all aspects of licensing the use of their respective name(s) and image(s) in advertising, all forms of media use - e.g. films and television, reproduction for retail use, and the establishment of exact or similar images (visual and physical) throughout the world.
Applicants for the position will be screened by the Chamber’s Presidential Search Committee. The top ranked candidates will continue in the Chamber’s review process with the best candidate being identified and recommended for hiring to the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors may, at its discretion, request further reference checks, background checks and/or interviews of finalists as appropriate.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. The required degree must be completed by the time of filing an application.
- At least Five (5) years of successful experience in an executive leadership position in chamber of commerce, public administration, government, business, non-profit, or trade association.
- A sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse business, socio-economic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of an urban community.
- A Master’s degree in business, public administration or other applicable degree.
- Ten (10) years of experience in administrative management positions with increasing levels of responsibility, preferably at a chamber of commerce or non- profit association in a major city or regional center.
- Completed Western Association of Chamber Executives (WACE) “Academy” or the US Chamber of Commerce “Institute” Program.
To be considered for this position, applicants are required to file an application using web-based software to create an applicant profile account, allowing documents to be saved and uploaded as attachments. Submit your online application below.
All applicants must submit the following items:
- A completed Hollywood Chamber of Commerce online employment application.
- A current resume of professional experience, educational background and other pertinent information.
- A list of five references, with contact information, that reflect the stature of this position (e.g., business/community leaders, elected officials, former supervisors).
- A compelling letter of interest addressing the applicant’s skills and experiences necessary to successfully meet each of the challenges and issues identified below.
- A recent writing sample.
All items (1-5) above must be submitted online.
The preferred receipt for all materials is May 31, 2018
Salary: $185,000 +
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Dental Insurance, Life and Long Term Disability Insurance, Retirement, 401K, Vacation, Expense Account, Professional Development, Monthly Auto Allowance, Cell Phone, Employee Parking.
The President and CEO must be a visionary, courageous and dynamic leader who is committed to collaboration and shared governance. The successful applicant must be able to demonstrate the experience and technical skills to provide effective leadership to a dynamic and challenging chamber, and its numerous committees all within in a very complex and diverse community.
The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce needs a President and CEO who understands that its members are what make the Chamber special. The President must have an understanding of the challenges and issues members face and demonstrate a firm commitment to member access, equity and success.
Hollywood is a very diverse community within the City of Los Angeles. The President & CEO must have a clear understanding of the leadership skills required for success in this type of dynamic environment. Most importantly, the successful applicant must embrace the diversity of members and residents and the Hollywood Chamber’s multicultural environment.
The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce requires a President and CEO who is an effective and positive communicator. The President must establish a visible presence in the Hollywood community and beyond. In addition, the President must be committed to reaching out to and communicating directly with Chamber members and members of the community, and to serving as an advocate of the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce.
All candidates for the position will be evaluated based on the following desired qualities.
Champions Member Access, Success, and Equity
A leader who demonstrates strong commitment to member access and success through strategies, policies and marketing efforts that result in improved membership enrollment and membership revenue.
Provides Strategic Guidance
A leader who is willing to make data-informed decisions that inspires confidence, in the Board of Directors, staff and volunteers.
Builds Strong Teams
- A leader who understands and supports the roles of the Board Chair and the Board of Directors.
- A leader who is committed to maintaining productive and effective relationships within the organization, across the Hollywood community and beyond, and with government officials.
- A leader who is guided by ethics, honesty and fairness, and is committed to transparency and inclusiveness in decision-making.
- A leader who promotes cohesiveness and respect among all Chamber and Hollywood constituents and resolves issues in a timely manner.
- A consensus builder who respects staff diversity, uses and promotes an open and approachable management style.
- Supports staff development, motivates employees, and acknowledges their contributions.
Achieves Goal-Oriented Leadership
A leader who facilitates the Board’s leadership in setting the goals for the organization through an annual Board planning conference.
- A leader who possesses exceptional interpersonal, written and oral communication skills, uses those skills to foster strong relationships to develop shared priorities and to identify and resolve problems with patience, skill and a sense of humor.
- A leader who is proactive with proven advocacy skills and solid understanding of city, state, and national legislation that affect Chamber members.
- A leader who possesses excellent public speaking capabilities which may be required in situations such as Walk of Fame ceremonies, governmental hearings, other public forums and with the media.
- A leader whose communication and management styles are effective and instill confidence and trust.
- A leader who effectively engages with the Chamber’s internal and external stakeholders, strategically communicating in ways that advance the Chamber's mission.
- A leader who communicates with the Board of Directors in ways that ensures a common understanding of the Chamber’s goals.
Excels in Financial and Operational Ability
- A leader capable of:
- Preparing an annual balanced budget for adoption by the Board of Directors.
- Managing the monthly income and expenses against the approved budget.
- Overseeing the annual audit and ensure its timely presentation to the Board of Directors.
- Managing all chamber banking and investment accounts.
- A fiscally competent leader who will ensure fiscal stability, secure sufficient resources to fund operations and provide adequate controls to prevent fiscal mismanagement.
- An astute administrator with demonstrated expertise in the complexities of chambers of commerce that impact its finances and operations, including membership, licensing, special events programs and budgetary processes.
- A leader who aligns expenditures with strategies and provides prudent oversight for the completion of major capital facilities and other projects.
- A leader who demonstrates fiscal integrity in the linking of planning to resource allocations.
Excels in Trademark and Licensing Administration
A leader capable of:
- Monitoring and ensuring the Chamber is always in compliance with the Attorney General Settlement of 1992. This includes ensuring that all restricted funds are spent appropriately and preparing/updating the annual Licensing – Restricted Funds report.
- Monitoring and ensuring any payments owed to the Hollywood Sign Trust and/or Hollywood Historic Trust are made in a timely fashion.
- Responding quickly to all licensing issues raised by the Chamber’s licensing representative, Global Icons, and consulting, where appropriate, with the Licensing Chair and/or the Executive Committee.
- Monitoring to be sure the Chamber’s trademarks are being renewed on time and pursuing new trademark protections/applications where appropriate.
Generates Entrepreneurial Fundraising
An entrepreneurial and effective fundraiser with demonstrated capacity to raise revenue and develop new resources to support the Chamber’s membership, programs and facilities.
Develops and Maintains Effective External Partnerships
A leader who uses the Chamber’s influence and resources to pave the way for ongoing membership access and success by forging partnerships with outside entities, including The Hollywood Historic Trust, The Hollywood Sign Trust, representatives in city, county, state and federal governments, Hollywood Business Improvement Districts, Hollywood Neighborhood Councils, and numerous community-based organizations and employers.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
It is the policy of the Chamber to treat all applicants in a fair and non-discriminatory manner, without regard to actual or perceived ethnic group identification, race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition (as defined under California and federal employment laws), pregnancy, gender identity, marital status, sex (including gender-based sexual harassment), age, sexual orientation, or status as a Vietnam-era veteran or qualified disabled veteran or any other protected characteristic. This equal employment opportunity policy applies to all employment-related decisions.
For additional information, questions, for confidential inquiries or to forward nominations, please contact the Presidential Search Committee via email ONLY at:
To be considered for this position, applicants are required to file an application using web-based software to create an applicant profile account, allowing documents to be saved and uploaded as attachments. Submit an online application below.